Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tori's Stories

I thought I would tell you about an embarrassing moment that happened to me recently because, I mean, what's more "real" than telling really embarrassing stories about yourself? [Please let me preface this by saying that embarrassing things happen to me all the time. I'm basically a walking awkward moment. But, whatever, I have to embrace it.]

On Wednesday the paper that I work for was having a meeting to get to know all the newbies [like myself] and talk about story ideas. I had dreaded this meeting all week day because I hate meeting new people and having to come up with small-talk. Basically, I like to have a buffer because then, when I don't know what to say, the buffer sweeps in and saves the day. But it was just me. All alone.

So I got there about 20 minutes early [for those of you who don't really know me, I am perpetually early. Can't help it. I try to be late and it still doesn't happen.] and sat in my car for a while. At about 5 minutes until meeting time, I walked up to the Culp [the student center] because I knew it would take me about 4 minutes to get there. [Guys, I'm a planner. It's a disease.] I did this so I would be right on time but not a minute late.

When I got there, I saw through the glass door that about 8 people were already sitting in there waiting. I exhaled and pushed the door. Didn't budge. Everyone looked up. So I tried pulling. Nope. So I tried the other side. Nothing. My face began to turn red and I made some awkward fake whining comment and knocked on the door. Finally, someone pushed the button from the inside that apparently had to be pushed before the door would open. I walked inside. Said "Yeah, that was awesome." [Not.] And then I quickly took a chair. Blushing all the while.

Now, in reality this sequence probably lasted no more than 15 seconds. But oh man. It. Was. Awkward!

What have I learned from all of this, you ask? Go by the place of meeting the day before and check out the door.

While I'm on this pictures of me as a kid kick, I will show you an awkward picture of me as a kid. Nope, the awkwardness is not a recent development, folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment