Monday, June 21, 2010

Mexico

Kelly Needham [wife of singer-songwriter Jimmy Needham] recently wrote on her blog about something that she had journaled about. She said "I say that everything is a loss compared to knowing you. But do I really mean that? How often do I suffer losses to know you more?"

So here's the story.

This summer my life has gone from having only a few friends that I rarely hang out with to having all kinds of friends who want to hang out a lot. That is great! It is very new to be busy and I'm really enjoying it. I have been able to counsel a week of camp and have been asked to counsel another. I have a boy that I like and the feeling might be mutual [?]. I have a lot of free time to spend with my friends.

But I'm feeling pretty sure that God is calling me to do a missionary internship with Missionary Evangelism in Mexico where I would be living in an orphanage taking care of the kiddos during the week. [I have to confess, though, that I have not spent a lot of time in prayer about it and I really need to go do that immediately.] Don't get me wrong; this is a good thing. I am very excited about the prospect and I am going to have breakfast with the Curlings in the morning. But, to some extent, this is a loss. I will lose my hang-time with my new friends, my possibility of an apartment in the near(ish) future, my boy.

But Christ gave everything for me. Why should I not give up these few things for a semester/year/lifetime when He gave His life for me? When He has saved me from hell? I must count it all loss compared to the greatness of knowing and serving Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment