Sunday, October 3, 2010

Realization and Repentance

This morning at church [Well, actually this afternoon. Our church starts at 2pm] Brent talked about Habakkuk. Habakkuk asked God why He wasn't doing anything about the nation of Israel's sin. God told Habakkuk that He was. He was going to send the Chaldeans (Babylonians) to wipe out Israel and take them captive. So now Habakkuk was shaking in his boots [or sandals]. He knew that suffering was coming his way, so he waited. But he was not just waiting around doing nothing. Habakkuk was trusting in God to fulfill his purpose. Then, as he waited, he began rejoicing in the Lord.
"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." - Habakkuk 3:17-19
Habakkuk--instead of looking at the disparity of his situation--looked to God, his salvation. He did not focus on the suffering to come. He focused on his Savior who was fulfilling His purpose.

How many times do I focus more on my suffering than on my salvation? [Answer: Daily] I must repent of that. After all that Christ went through [I can't even fathom] to pay my ransom, I still focus more on my comfort, my happiness, than on rejoicing in Him and the hope of my salvation.

And even in suffering, even when I so clearly see the way He is working out His purpose in me, why am I still so willing to forget to rejoice in Him? Why do I still focus on my comfort instead of the growth He is providing?

I love you, friends! Thank you for your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this reminder, Tori! It is a daily struggle for me as well. Praying for you and your ministry! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super great reminder. Thanks thanks thanks.

    ReplyDelete