Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dear Heritage Baptist Church

Last night I got a text telling me I had to do nursery during the main service instead of Community Group (henceforth referred to as "CG"). I was upset because I wanted to hear the preaching, but I went with it. I'm so glad Chago changed the schedule now because Brent touched on some things in CG that I had noticed but couldn't yet give words.I realized that I'm nervous to go back home for a few reasons, most of them centering on the church.

Brent talked about the local church and its importance in the lives of Christians. One of the things that is most important in a body of believers is accountability. I don't think Heritage has many people who are passionate about discipling. Don't get me wrong; I'm to blame as much as the next person.

I do, however, think my parents, Tanner, and Daniel have done an excellent job with shepherding our CG on a one-on-one or very small group basis. But at the same time, my parents are still my parents. I know this about myself, that when they show me sin in my life, I will be less likely, or at least much slower, to heed their words than if someone outside of my family called me out. But how many people at Heritage know me well enough that they would know when I was in sin? A very few. But THAT is what the church needs to be. We need to be in each other's lives "sharpening each other's iron" in love.

Even in our CG at Heritage, we tend to come together, answer stock questions, joke around, and leave. We build up our knowledge of God, maybe [knowledge puffs up], but we don't know each other's hearts. We are not real with each other about our struggles. We don't bear one another's burdens unless it's convenient [and then it's not a burden!]. We don't reach out to the people around us, especially those younger than us who would hang on our every word and watch our every action that we could perform to the glory of God! We have such a simple opportunity, as simple as crossing the parking lot, yet we don't take advantage of that.

We're all going along so comfortably, but we're not stretching ourselves. We're not stretching each other. We will never look like Christ if we are self-serving and comfortable.

We must start the change. We can't sit around waiting for someone else [church leaders, authors, CG leaders] to make a plan. We have to be the revolution.

I know our CG has been talking about going on a mission trip this summer, and that is still something I would love to do, but we can't just sit around making plans for summer. We must act now. Every breath should be filled with glory to God, not just our summers.

So I challenge you, church, find someone who can shepherd you and then begin shepherding someone yourself. You don't have to know the words to say right now; God will give them to you when you ask Him. Stop waiting for something to happen and make it happen yourself. If we are surrendered to Him, we cannot fail.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! We get snippets of that intimate closeness with each other...just enough to know how marvelous it is to be in each others' lives, and then we back away. I want more of that sooooo badly. I can imagine it. I daydream about it. Let's do it. Let's get into each others lives, and impact some other people. Let's be Jesus to people and point people to Him.

    ReplyDelete