Sunday, August 29, 2010

Treasuring Christ

This morning we had our first service as a church plant. I haven’t said anything about the Curlings starting a church yet because it wasn’t official. Now it is. So, anyway, today was our first day.

In the message, Chago was talking about treasuring Christ [the message was based on 1 Peter 2:1-12 which talks about being a living stone and Christ building us into His church, but I’m going to tell you about the parts that really convicted me]. Throughout the service, different things happened that struck a chord in me. Naomi read The Suffering Servant passage from Isaiah 52:13-53:12 and it brought her to tears. Chago spoke about how the Lord looks on us and is pleased because He sees Christ in our place, and it brought him to tears. I began to ask myself, how have I hardened my heart so much that I am no longer moved by God’s goodness and grace? My heart so rarely melts at His words. I am not treasuring Christ as I should. All day I have been questioning how I can see Christ for who He is and have my heart melt in awe of Him, so I prayed about it.

I sat down to read from Piper’s Don’t Waste Your Life. Immediately God began speaking to my heart through what Piper had to say. He talked about how people ask themselves “Why shouldn’t I do this or that?” instead of “How will this help me treasure Christ more? How will this help me show that I do treasure Christ? How will this help me know Christ or display Christ?” Those are the real questions I need to be asking myself in every moment.

Next Piper began talking about TV and how it diminishes our ability to know Christ and to handle great truths reverently. Funnily enough, I had just been complaining how my internet was too slow to let me load a TV show that I had wanted to watch. [I really do love how God speaks so directly to me.]

I pray that God would help me to realize the triviality in everything that is not Him. I pray that He would become my only treasure. I pray that for you as well, reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment