Sunday, August 22, 2010

What a difference a week makes

Last Sunday, I was ready to pack it in and go home. I missed my family. I missed my friends. I missed my church. And I'm not going to lie, I still miss them all day every day, but it doesn't weigh on me like it did last week. Last week I was like a balloon [all of my MCA friends will enjoy any balloon reference so I thought this might be a good metaphor], one little poke and I would have exploded [in tears, not literally exploded].

But this week has been so renewing for me. God has really been working on my heart, many times without me realizing it. I continually tell Him that I need Him so desperately and He takes care of the rest! How amazing that God looks on wicked me and sees Jesus in my place and makes me His child. He has given me peace and joy about being here. It's wonderful. He is wonderful.

On Thursday, school started. I was asked to substitute teach a 9th grade English class while their normal teacher, Naomi, is out of town. It was is terrifying [I still have one more day on Monday] and I teach wayyyy to fast, but it's good to know that I'm freeing up whoever would have been teaching it.

I couldn't sign in to the Missionary Evangelism website on Thursday or most of Friday, so I didn't really have a lot on my list that I was able to accomplish, but I still had fun. Plus, I wore this awesome hat. But I think the kids thought I was being serious so that really was just awkward and not super funny.


Thursday night we had a family dinner. I. Love. Family. Dinner. It's so fun to sit around and hang out with everyone. At first we thought it was a somewhat daunting task to get everyone together but, in my opinion, it is totally worth it.

Here's a pic. Aren't we cuuuute? [The correct answer is "yes"]

[Left to right: Me, Erika, Brent, Ilonka, Melinda, Emily. Missing: Naomi]


Yesterday we worked and then had leftovers family dinner and watched "Rat Race." Let me just tell you, any movie with cow comedy, I LOVE. [See also "O Brother Where Art Thou."]

Today we went to Barnes & Noble for awhile and then went over to Chago and Trinette's to watch the kiddos. We watched some movies, played Twister, and cuddled some puppies. I also got to say the infamous words "say 'Yes Ma'am'". It was awesome.

My new friends are beginning to feel like old friends and I'm loving it.

Prayer: Pray that I would get to know the students and be able to show Christ to them!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad prayers are being answered for you! Keep trusting Him. We will keep praying for you. :) Love ya!

    (Nice Hat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori, I agree about the hat. Too funny! Great post. It will only get better until you feel the same way back here your first week as you felt there your first week. God spends a lifetime trying to teach us that everything is temporary and our hope should only rest in him. But it's a hard lesson to learn. The present is so physical, so immediate and so real. Nonetheless, he loves us too much to let us settle down and settle for anything less than heaven.

    ReplyDelete